Description: Due to a higher level of participation and increased demand for practice space, Avila University undertook two projects to provide additional facilities for their sports programs. With the University being land locked, and outdoor field space at a premium, five programs were competing for the use of the existing field - football, men's soccer, women's soccer, baseball, and softball. As an answer to this problem, the University decided to replace the natural turf with synthetic turf, allowing for multiple uses on the same fields with minimal change over time. This installation includes the following features:
- State of the art drainage system that allowed the use of the field very shortly after rainstorms.
- Field striping for football, soccer, baseball and softball.
- Football goalposts that rotated - allowing for the installation of the soccer net and the field to be converted from football to soccer in minutes.
- Football goalposts that were also removable - allowing the installation of movable chain link fencing for baseball and softball to be played simultaneously.
- A new elevated Press Box with separate spaces for announcers, home coaches and visitor coaches.
- New moveable bleachers, allowing for different placements for each sport.
- New scoreboards with video display.
- Terraced grass areas adjacent to the residence halls for student seating and picnics.
- An under field rainwater collection and storage system to minimize the stormwater runoff onto adjacent properties.
With the outdoor practice space issues addressed, the University turned its focus indoors. Competing for the space in the current Mabee Athletics Fieldhouse were varsity men's basketball, women's basketball, volleyball, cheer squad, dance team, baseball and softball cold weather practice, as well as intramural sports. As a solution to this problem, Avila built an additional Practice Pavilion adjacent to the existing Fieldhouse. This new facility features:
- Synthetic surface to allow use by all the different groups.
- Full size basketball court for team practice and intramurals.
- Floor markings and removable standards for volleyball team practice and intramurals.
- Dedicated space for baseball / softball batting and pitching cage.
- Separate football weight room.
- Restrooms situated such that they could be accessed securely from indoors or outdoors.
- Fully heated and air-conditioned allowing for year round use.
- An adjacent rain garden that served as storm water collection while beautifying the campus.